Name: Parviz Tarikhi
Date of Birth: August 21, 1960
Highlights of Qualifications:
High experience in the career, team player, hard working, ability to work and manage particularly in tight deadlines
- Well experienced in the analysis of satellite data collected from earth resources I am specializing in radar remote sensing. The noteworthy in this connection is my expertise to work with synthetic aperture radar (SAR) data. In 1999, in care of the European Space Research Institute (ESRIN) I implemented an international study project on SAR Interferometry the report of which was submitted to ESRIN and relevant paper was presented by myself in the 29th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment (ISRSE-29) that was held in March 2002 at Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Due to feature work on promoting remote sensing technology applications in Iran I was awarded the ISPRS (International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing) International Eduard Dolezal Prize for year 2000 in the 19th ISPRS Congress in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- In May 2010 I worked as the lecturer of the international training course on the synthetic aperture radar (SAR) imagery; processing, interpretation and applications. The course was held from 3rd to 14th May in Tunis, Tunisia. I imparted training on SAR Interferometry, DInSAR and PSInSAR in the course. The program was organized and conducted jointly by the Centre Regional de Télédétection des Etats d’Adrique du Nord- CRTEAN (Regional Center for Remote Sensing of North African Countries) and the Inter-Islamic Network on Space Sciences and Technology- ISNET.
- 8/07 to date Head of the Research Core on Microwave Remote Sensing Department, Iranian Space Agency (ISA), Mahdasht Satellite Receiving Station, Karaj, Iran
- 9/03 to 8/07 Head of the Office for Specialized International Cooperation, ISA & Iranian Remote Sensing Center (IRSC), Tehran, Iran
- 3/03 to 9/03 Head of the Research and Development of New Technologies Group, Remote Sensing and GIS Department, IRSC, Tehran, Iran
- 9/01 to 3/03 Head of the Group for Analyze and Interpretation of Remote Sensing data on natural recourses and environment, Remote Sensing and GIS Department, IRSC, Tehran, Iran
- 10/92 to 9/01 Expert-in-charge for Training, Research on Space Science and Technology Applications, Research, Training and Space Sciences Department, IRSC, Tehran, Iran
Journalism and Scientific Writing-
Involved with this activity since 1990; primarily in my native language Persian I worked with the local base science magazine Ganjineh, Fatemi Publishers, Tehran and then organized and headed the Bulletin of the IRSC, and later in English at the international level.
As the member of the International Science Writers Association (ISWA) I have worked as the freelance journalist and technical writer for
- International magazine Geo-Europe (UK based remote sensing and geo-information monthly),
- ER-Mapper Magazine (UK based remote sensing and geo-information software magazine),
- International magazine Geo:connexion (UK based remote sensing and geo-information monthly),
- Position Magazine (Australia based remote sensing and geo-information bimonthly),
- ASM-Asian Surveying and Mapping (Australia based remote sensing and geo-information weekly online newsletter),
- Spatial Business News (Australia based remote sensing and earth space business news biweekly journal)
- Independent Daily (Bangladesh’s leading national daily)
- Journal of Space Law (USA, University of Mississippi School of Law)
- Space Policy International Journal (USA, Elsevier)
It is notable that my article entitled “Destruction in the Delta” published in the Feb/Mar 2008 (issue 33) of the Australian Position Magazine was recognized as the five top articles in the 2008 Aerospace Journalist of the Year Award in the category of ITT Best Space Submission organized by World Leadership Forum.
- International Lecturer of the SAR Interferometry, Differential InSAR and PSInSAR units of the Centre Regional de Télédétection des Etats d’Adrique du Nord- CRTEAN (Regional Center for Remote Sensing of North African Countries) and the Inter-Islamic Network on Space Sciences and Technology- ISNET Training Course on Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Imagery: Processing, Interpretation and Applications, Tunis, Tunisia, 3 -14 May 2010. I gave the lectures for the first time in the international level to the international PhD and Master level trainees from different countries.
- Second Vice-Chairman of COPUOS for the period of 2004-2006
- Joint International Cooperation with the Russian Federation and Republic of Syria in preparing the report of the Action Team number one of the Recommendations of the Third United Nations International Conference on the Applications of Space Technology (UNISPACE-III), “Develop a Comprehensive Worldwide Strategy for Monitoring of the Environment”, second half of the year 2003.
- Chairperson of the Action Team #1 of the Recommendations of UNISPACE III “Develop a comprehensive worldwide environmental monitoring strategy” since March 2002
- National Distinguished Researcher of the Ministry of Post, Telegraph and Telephone, and the IRSC for the Year 2001-2002
- National Focal Point for the International Spaceweek Association since 2000
- Scientific and Technical member of the Iranian Delegations to the United Nations COPUOS and its Scientific and Technical Subcommittee since 2000
- Winner of the Eduard Dolezal 2000 Award for outstanding work in Remote Sensing in Iran which awarded by the Austrian Society for surveying and Geoinformation in the 19th ISPRS Congress held at Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 16th-23rd July 2000
- Member of the International Science Writers Association (ISWA) (since 1999)
- Honorary M.Sc Degree in Physics from Knightsbridge University, UK, March 1999
- National Distinguished Employee of the Iranian Remote Sensing Center for the Year 1998-99
- National Contact Point for the Human Network of Earth Science Technology Organization (ESTO) of Japan (1996-1999)
- Member of the Iranian Society of Physics (since 1992)
- Member of the National Geographic Society (since 1997)
- Member of the Board of the Authors of the base sciences magazine Ganjineh (1992-1995)
- Well-experienced in online scientific authorship due to the long term work and cooperation with GEOEurope Magazine as the Middle East representative and freelancer
- Well-experienced in working with the image processing softwares such as Adobe PhotoShop, ER Mapper and ERDAS Imagine, and radar data processing softwares including ESA’s SAR Toolbox, BEST (ESA’s Basic Envisat SAR Toolbox),
- RESTEC’s SAR_e2, Canadian Earth-View (professional software for SAR interferometry), US Envi, German/Stuttgart University IDIOT (InSAR Deformation Inspection and Observation Tool), and Dutch/ Delft University DORIS (Delft object-oriented radar interferometric software)
- Familiar with FORTRAN, Visual Basic and Linux programming
- Familiar with English, French and Esperanto languages and fluent in English and Persian
- Scientific translating from English and French to Persian language
06/02 to 11/09 Ph.D., Physics, Knightsbridge University, Denmark
11/96 to 03/99 M.Sc., Physics, Knightsbridge University, UK
10/79 to 03/91 B.Sc., Physics, Tehran University, Iran
Participation in the International Scientific and Technical Meetings and Symposia
I have attended 47 international scientific and technical meetings and symposia. I participated COPUOS and its subcommittee meetings since 2000 and chaired some of the COPUOS meetings. I have also chaired the meetings of Action Team number 1 of the recommendations of UNISPACE III focusing on development of a worldwide comprehensive strategy for environmental monitoring since 2001. In addition to COPUOS and its marginal meetings I have participated and contributed to a number of international symposia and meetings relevant to the applications of space science and technology. Detailed list is available at the web address:
Main Research Projects
- ESA/ESRIN-supported research study (C1P.8242) on SAR Interferometry for Aquatic Bodies from April 2011 to September 2012.
- ESA/ESRIN-supported research study on motion estimates through Envisat Interferometric SAR Imagery concerning the Bam Quake of December 26, 2003 since February 2004.
- “Surface displacement assessment of the dynamic phenomena of Iran through new technologies in remote sensing with emphasize on SAR Interferometry and other radar remote sensing techniques“, from September 2001 to January 2003. Implementation of the project was limited due to the financial shortage of IRSC.
- ESA/ESRIN-supported one-year research project entitled “Plate motion estimates through ERS Interferometric SAR imagery concerning the Izmit quake of August 17th, 1999” from November 1999 to November 2000.
I have 186 publications in physics and other space science and technology applications in book and article format. I have edited and translated notable works in my career from English and French languages. A number of my works are recognized as the high quality and award winning works.
- InSAR for Aquatic Bodies, Proceedings of the XXII ISPRS (International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing) Congress, 25 August – 01 September 2012, Melbourne, Australia
- InSAR: a new generation, Position Magazine, Australia, No.50, Dec.2010/Jan. 2011, pp.42-46
- DEMs from InSAR, Position Magazine, Australia, No.43, Oct./Nov. 2009, pp.39-42
- Iran’s space program: Riding high for peace and pride, Elsevier’sSpace Policy International Journal, Issue 3, Vol. 25, August 2009, pp. 160-173, (DOI information: 10.1016/j.spacepol.2009.05.010)
- Inside GEOSS, Position Magazine, Australia, No.39, Feb./Mar. 2009, pp. 43-44
- Statute of the Iranian Space Agency (2005 &2008), Journal of Space Law, USA, No. 2, Vol. 34, winter 2008, pp. 487-495
- Destruction in the Delta, Position Magazine, Australia, No.33, Feb./Mar. 2008, pp. 40-41 (one of the five recognized articles about space-2008 Aerospace Journalist of the Year Award)
- Report to ESA/ESRIN on the research project: PLATE MOTION ESTIMATES THROUGH ERS INTERFEROMETRIC SAR IMAGERY CONCERNING THE IZMIT QUAKE OF AUGUST 17, 1999, November 2000, Presented to European Space Research Institute/European Space Agency (ESRIN/ESA)
- Principles of Remote Sensing (translation from English language to Persian),IRSC, Tehran, Iran, fall 1993 & spring 1994, 350 pages (It won the title of the Best Book of the Year 1996-97 in remote sensing in Iran)
- Harward Project Physics, (translation from English language to Persian),Fatemi Publishers, Tehran, Iran, 1991, 492 pages (The book won the title of the Best Book of the Year 1988-89 in physics in Iran)
A detailed list of my feature works is available at the web address:
November 2, 2012